Assistance to Palestinians during December storm
This past weekend (December 11-14), an intense winter storm hit the
region. Israel, Gaza and the West Bank all suffered from severe
infrastructural problems, flooding and other severe, weather-related
events. The IDF and COGAT have worked to provide assistance to civilians
in need wherever possible.
IDF soldiers help Palestinian ambulance stuck in the snow (Photo: IDF Spokesperson)
THE CIVIL COORDINATION DEPARTMENT
Coordination of Government Activities in the Territories
Ministry of Defense, State of Israel
The Gaza Strip
Israel provided the following assistance to the Gaza Strip in order to mitigate damage from the recent severe storm:
Shalom was opened specially on Friday (13 Dec.) to allow 5 tankers
containing 110 tons of cooking gas to enter the Gaza Strip.
- Also on Friday, four water pumps, belonging to “Mekorot”, the
Israeli water company, entered the Gaza Strip and are currently being
operated in the cities and towns and of Rafah, Sheikh Reduan and Khan
Sunday (15 Dec.), the Kerem Shalom commercial crossing was open for the
first time ever for human passage. Sixteen people entered Gaza
including international aid workers and medical patients returning from
treatment in Israel. Two individuals also entered Israel through the
crossing. Additionally, two ambulance transfers took place at the
- Also on Sunday, large volumes of fuel and supplies entered Gaza through Kerem Shalom including:
* 241 tons of cooking gas
* 223,000 liters of benzene fuel
* 763,000 liters of diesel fuel
* Two trucks of emergency supplies donated by the ICRC
* 148 trucks of consumer goods.
- UNRWA and the World Food Program have been distributing emergency supplies (including food rations) throughout the Gaza Strip.
COGAT remains ready to provide assistance to organizations wishing to transfer aid and supplies to Gaza.
Patients returning to Gaza from treatment in Israel
The West Bank
Fuel supplied to Gaza through Kerem Shalom crossing
taken by the IDF and COGAT to assist the civilian population and
mitigate damages in the West Bank from the storm include:
- Assistance in fixing power outages around the West Bank in cooperation with the Israeli Electrical Company.
- On Friday (13 Dec), numerous Palestinians trapped in their cars
around the Migdalim Intersection (Nablus) were rescued by the IDF.
- On Saturday (14 Dec), the IDF assisted in an extraction of an
on-duty Palestinian ambulance trapped by weather conditions near the
Jewish community of Ofra.
- Also on Saturday, the IDF provided aid in the evacuation of three
pregnant Palestinian women stuck on Road 35 near Hebron, even offering a
helicopter for the evacuation of one of the women who had entered into
- On Sunday (15 Dec), the snow-covered access road to the Nebi-Samuel
village was cleared by IDF vehicles. Soldiers and officers from COGAT's
Jerusalem Periphery District Coordination and Liaison unit distributed
food rations and supplies to the residents.
- Assistance to many Palestinians stranded in their cars in the
Ramallah district, as well as the opening of the Courthouse Crossing 24
hours a day in order to allow passage for humanitarian cases.