Every citizen or permanent resident of the State of Israel, upon reaching the age of 16, is obligated by the Defense Service Law to establish his status with the Israel Defense Forces authorities even if he/she is living or staying abroad for any reason. A person who is designated for defense service and called to report under a general call up order, must report in Israel at the time and place specified in the order. However, if he/she is located abroad, you can report to the diplomatic or consular representative at the Israeli Embassy for the purpose of registration. At the time of registration, he/she may submit a request to defer the time of reporting to the defense service.
- For more information in MFA website please go to here: In English, In Hebrew
- For more information in Metav website please goto here: In Hebrew
Fill the following documentation:
1. Registration is implemented by filling out the form Registration form/Application to defer military service for Israeli citizens staying abroad - click here to download the form
3. Evidence that they have been living out of Israel. They also need to provide the Consular Section with formal letters from schools (primary and college) attesting that they have been studying there as a full-time student.
4. Photocopies of his parents' passports. In the case where the parents no longer live together you need to contact the Consular Section for further instructions.
5. Certification stating that the center of the child's life with his parents is in that country.
Note: You must sign the forms in the Israeli embassy in front of the consular OR sign the form in Justice of Peace in New-Zealand
Additional details (in Hebrew) can be obtained on the Israel Defense Forces website.
Provide the consular with the correct documentation by way of a) by post or alternatively b) in person.
a) By Post:
Embassy of Israel
PO Box: 25485
NB:Please include your contact information (email address and phone number) so that our consular section can contact you.
NB:You will need to mail us by track and trace mail ONLY & include additional courier bag referred to section 4.
b) In Person:
i) You must visit during our Consular Services hours:
Monday to Friday – From 09:30am to 12:30pm
ii)You must make an appointment with the consular section by:
Tel : 04- 4399514 b. E-mail: email@example.com
iii) Follow security procedure:
-Please bring photo ID.
-Every visitor and his belongings will be required to undergo a security check.
-For security purposes, no personal objects will be allowed into the mission, including handbags, mobile phones and electronic devices.
-Do not bring large handbags or suitcases to the mission.
-Do not bring food and/or beverage bottles or containers.
-The mission’s security directives apply to people in the consular waiting room.
-The instructions of the security staff must be obeyed at all times.
Deferring service and restrictions on visit to Israel
If a decision is made to defer the service of a person designated for defense service, while he is staying abroad with his parents, the diplomatic / consular representative will explain to him the conditions and restrictions applying to him in everything pertaining to the time frames of his visit to Israel.