On the Eve of the Jewish New Year: 8.081 million residents in the State of Israel
· On the eve of the Jewish New Year (Rosh Hashana) 5774, the population of Israel is estimated at 8.081 million people.
· The Jewish population numbers about 6.066 million (75.1% of the total population). Arabs number about 1.67 million (20.7%). In the category of “others” – non-Arab Christians, members of other religions and the non-affiliated (as defined by the Ministry of the Interior) – there are about 345,000 residents (4.2%).
· Since last Rosh Hashana (5773), Israel’s population has increased by about 142,000 people. In the Jewish year 5773 (October 2012 – September 2013), population increase was 1.8%, similar to that in the past few years.
· During the past year, about 163,000 babies were born in Israel and about 40,000 people died.
· There was a net addition to the population of 19,000 people due to immigration.